Thursday, June 5, 2014

Putting In Work

I started working on the 97 GSX-R1100 today. First step was to remove the carburetors. A pretty straight forward (albeit fiddly) procedure.



Well this was interesting. The results of parting a motorcycle for 3+ years in a garage. There were even two rotting mouse corpses! That was a nice touch.

Now comes the part where I disassemble the carburetors!

First, start with a nice adult beverage and some good music. My choice of music is Q-Dance Radio and choice of beverage is the classic screwdriver:



Next is to make sure you are working in a clean, organized environment:




Normally I work from the top to the bottom as I find it easier. I keep everything organized in the proper order it was removed in: 



Next step is to flip the whole unit over and start pulling the bowls: 




I have run into this problem before, one or two bowl screw won't come undone no matter how much PB Blaster and WD-40 I use. That's when the trusty Vice-Grips come out: 


Viola: 


Next I remove ALL of the jets. In this case, these carburetors just have main jets and pilot jets:



Jets should be clean and clear. I couldn't see through ANY of mine. Tomorrow I will do the actual cleaning and reassembly!

Until next time,
See you on the road!

No comments:

Post a Comment