Wednesday, November 6, 2013

Something Old, Something New. A Little Bit Of Deja Vu

Cruising through Craigslist, I see an ad for a "1989 Honda Quad Racer" for a good price. Hmm okay Honda never made a Quad Racer. The pics showed a TRX250R.
These ATVs were legendary. They were Honda's response to the Suzuki LT250R of 1985 and were released in 1986. The TRXs were heavier, oddly enough. Honda did not use employ the extensive use of aluminum like Suzuki. Honda sure did know how to build them - they out performed the Suzuki in nearly all categories. Having ridden both, I can say that the only thing I like better about the Honda is the brakes. They rock 6 pistons (4 in the front, 2 in the back) as opposed to Suzuki's 3 (2 in front, 1 in the back). Other than that, I didn't notice a big difference.


It's close to stock - Lonestar A Arm Kit, DG bumpers, Renthal Bars & an FMF exhaust.

I bought it because it was cheap. Perhaps I can make a few bucks on it.


Remember that CBR900RR I sold a couple summers ago? I bought it back. My friend happened to see it for sale on a Facebook group for selling stuff in MA. He contacted the seller, who was the guy I had sold it to, and he offered to drop it off at my house for a very good price. How can you beat it?



Right after the seller left, I gave it a quick detail. I polished all the fairings and the fuel tank. Applied multiple coats of wax all over, including the frame. The finish on this bike hasn't been this smooth since summer of '94.

It's mostly stock minus a steering stabilizer, Yoshimura exhaust and a Targa solo cowl.

What's it need? Small things. One carb float, front blinkers (and the rear flush mounts lit on fire), one fairing has a crack, some fairing hardware is missing, windscreen has a small crack and the clear coat on top of the tank.

The plan? Not be a dope and sell it again. I'll hang onto this one for a long time.


Until next time.
See you on the road!

No comments:

Post a Comment