Thursday, June 6, 2013

Manufactured Madness- Suzuki's LT500R Quadzilla

Back in 1987, after great success with the LT250R, Suzuki decided to take it to the next level by doubling the displacement- 499cc with a power valve! In the world of 2 strokes, the power valve is considered a poor man's turbo.  I tried looking up how this valve functioned but much like Jeremy Clarkson when James May tries to explain something technical, I dosed off and shouted "POWAAA"
This combination pumped out 51hp and gobs of torque.
Back in the day it was the fastest and most expensive ATV. Weighing in at 392lbs, of the showroom floor, it topped out at just shy of 80mph. 



Much like the LT250R, the Quadzillas have fascinated me for some time. 
Well as luck would have it, there was a feller selling one in Vermont for a very very cheap price. 
The ad read:

87 suzuki quad racer 500 - (ludlow)


quadzilla. needs a few parts. rear caliper bolt kit for plastic n a air filter. has new chain reeds piston n rings. plastic is in great condition no tears in seat. it is a 87 is in fair condition fast machine. fun. would trade for a car or truck or dirtbike. let me know (phone number)


I texted him and he sent me some dreadful pics. 



But I was still interested. I confirmed that it was actually the LT500R model and not just a 250 like the one I have and he said "499cc" and I knew it was correct. 
Straight after work I jumped in the truck and went and grabbed it. The seller was odd. He said since I texted him he had received 8 or so phone calls on it and end less texts. Told you it was a good price! 
To put things in perspective, market value on these in good nick is north of $2,000. 

So what did I get? A bargain. The seller had just put all new gaskets and a piston and ring set it in. Seems like it wasn't raced as it has the original fenders, IE not "race cuts."
Someone had installed a nice FMF exhaust system and Nerf Bars too. 
 
I'm on the fence about keeping it or selling. The LT250R I have is scary enough. This would be just manic.
 
Thoughts?


No comments:

Post a Comment